Sunday, July 13, 2008

Getting photos for the fair


Having a rare Sunday off, I took off for the afternoon and decided to check out the scenery around Dalton Gardens and Hayden, Idaho. The reason: Fair photos. I am getting a collection together for the North Idaho Fair this year and angling to buy a photo printer that I can attach to the old laptop and print out the ones I plan on taking. A type of "Photoshop" program, "Picture this" that is Microsoft's version of Picassa. But unlike Picassa, you can add shapes. So, deciding on the desire to enter at least one manipulated to its silliest and a second one made black and white on the laptop, I tweaked and played around with the photos I plan on taking. The one I have here, I don't think I doctored.

In gardening news, having set up my large greenhouse/cold frame in order to house my 24 each, eggplants, tomatoes and peppers; the smaller built in shelf green house was simply getting too crowded as the plants got taller. So now they are sitting, eggplants and tomatoes, on plant stands with boards stretched between them. The peppers crowd the shelves of a coverless greenhouse. I plan on building covers for the tiered greenhouses by fall and place one in the giant "cold frame." The built in shelf greenhouse will be rebuilt and then covered in the fall and placed near the back door. That way, I can simply walk my seed flats out to it by February. The FarmTek sales people suggesting making double covers. I have a cover for the large "cold frame" already and need only get it on by September. The tier greenhouse that I plan to park in the "coldframe" will get a single cover with a roll up door. A second tier greenhouse will get a double cover and a doubled roll up door. (I don't do zippers.) The third tier greenhouse that I plan to store plants in between treks to the Farmer's Market won't get one since after May the likelihood of frost begins to diminish drastically. The built in shelves greenhouse will get a double cover and a roll up door too. Having used about a third of the 180 foot roll of greenhouse film, I am certain that I shall have enough plastic to take care of what is necessary.

At least my tomatoes are blooming in the middle of July after having been started the first of May. Hot house tomatoes, they did better "under cover" for having been planted so late than if they have been planted out in the back garden.

We had a wicked wind blow through the inland Northwest last Thursday, picked up some hot blazes over in Washington state and tumbled my peppers and some of my eggplants. Must have been blowing around 60 mph. Much like a Santa Ana wind. Didn't lose any eggplants, but did see a loss of some of the peppers. One snapped off below the crown but will regrow. Couldn't ressurrect the seedling that had been recently planted. Another one had also snapped off near the base. I bought a pepper and having two to spare of my own, planted them as well. So, it takes time for young peppers to get big enough to begin bearing. But "under cover," they will have to the end of the Market to produce. So in that dept at least, hope springs eternal.

No comments: